Sunday, November 16, 2014

The legacy of parents

In 1967 two people take a brave step to go to a foreign country with their only belongings in a suitcase. To a place they had only read and learned about through newspapers, books and stories of friends who had ventured to England. They left their families, friends and the only security they knew behind. They left at a time when phone calls overseas could only be made via call collect. When telegrams, not text messages were the ways they received news. They left thinking of the future of their unborn children. 

This is what parents do....

Those two brave people were my parents. I am a product of their belief and trust in the unknown. They are like many parents who take huge risks for their children, born or unborn.  For time immemorial parents have left their homes with just the clothes on their backs and their life savings in their bags for the hope of securing a better future and life than what they experienced, for their children. I see this phenomena interwoven in many lives of my peers around me in USA and perhaps in our own choices we are creating more opportunities for generations yet to come.

Because of  their choices I can speak and converse easily in English. Because of their choices I have had opportunities to access the best educational institutes. Because of their choices I can access a vast range of  resources and people. Because of their choices I have lived a privileged life. Because of their choices I have no fear of venturing into unknown places.

I hope the choices I have made have honoured theirs...

Amma and Dad boarding the plane in 1967 for England



(Inspired by a session of the "Call to men workshop" on 3rd Nov. Central Park, 3rd Nov, 2014)


No comments:

Post a Comment